7.09.2009
Power and Potential of Exploring & Using Recyled Materials
The Power and Potential of Exploring and Using Recycled and Natural Materials
Before I saw images from Reggio Emilia and toured the host Reggian-inspired school during the NAREA conference, I didn’t realize the full potential of using recycled materials. I kept seeing these items placed neatly in baskets throughout the classrooms. When I spoke with the Reggian teachers, I asked, “where on earth do you get all this stuff?” Their answer— “Just about all these materials here are donated from families.”
Items that many people (and companies) toss out, can be wonderful ingredients for the children to express their ideas. Often, businesses will toss out items and/or packaging they no longer need. Ex: one grandfather owns a masonry company and he donated a box full of these teeny tiny bricks, which have been wonderful for constructing. Another parent did some remodeling and had a dozen of these tall rectangular plastic [packaging] boxes from IKEA which were turned into reflection boxes filled with acetate for shadow and reflection study. I did some searching on craigslist a couple nights ago, and picked up 2 large bags of wine corks from a wine connoisseur, found 2 antique printer trays for organization (still need more) and am about to pick up 2 dozen empty baby food jars tomorrow. I wish I had pictures to show you all. Photography of the exhibit, the presentations from the Italians, and of the school we toured, was not allowed. So I frantically took notes.
Paper
Cardboard, corrugated cardboard, “Tetra Pak” cardboard, easter egg wrapping, boxes, etc.
Metal
Copper, aluminum, wire (various gauges), more WIRE!, plates, chains, pipes, mechanical gears, mesh, cables, etc
Wood
Planks, blocks, cork, plywood, wicker, etc.
Glass
Mirror, plexiglass in sheets (really need this!), containers, balls, polycarbonates, etc.
Textiles
Apparel, color swatches, accessories, yarns, bobbins, misc fabric scraps, burlap, muslin, silks, etc
Materials with Textured Surface
Soundproofing material, foam coverings, carpet, upholstery,
Plastic
Tubes, boxes, pipe fittings, funnels, springs, transparent coils, helmets, containers, press scraps, printed circuit boards, photographic film canisters, slide trays, bottle caps, spools.
Marble
cut for mosaic and in small slabs, stones, tiles
Ribbon
All types
Food Containers
in plastic, glass
Bottles
plastic and glass
CDs
blank or used
Buttons, Beads, Seashells
Wine Corks
Materials from Nature
leaves (crushed ok), bark, pebbles, stones, shelled nuts, feathers...
…and anything else you see that makes you think, “hmmmmm…I wonder if the Terra Luz children could use this."
Keep your eyes peeled and pass on the word.
Much Gratitude,
Andrea
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment