8.21.2008

Mia's First Day

Today was Mia's first day with us. She was here half the day, but beginning next week, she'll join us for full days on Wednesdays. And she did wonderful! Today was spent getting familiar with the casa, the materials and toys. We practiced how to use the new step stairs to get sippy cups back to their designated area on the counter. I've known Mia for over a year, but this was the first time I was actually 'with' Mia. I was floored by the amount of speech and talking she does! I've seen her at playdates, so she's usually quiet amongst all the controlled chaos, so this was a different side I saw today.

Highlights of our day: Austin did lots of stacking, Mia played with our new waldorf dolls and thinks they should be called 'Mommy' and 'Daddy', (they even gave each other lots of kisses), we all explored in the sandbox, which was super fun because the sand was moist from our recent rain, so it was more like beach sand and very easy to mold. Mia taught us all about making sandcastles (she even knew the word for them). This seemed to be Mia's favorite pick of the day. Sophia kept calling Mia to come back to the kiddie pool, but Mia preferred the sandbox. =)

For art exploration, they did printmaking with sponges cut into different shapes. They each got to pick one color, so we had Blue, Yellow, and Purple and we talked about those color words also in Espanol. Mia saw how Yellow and Blue make Green.

Clean up with some water play and then lunch (Austin opted for some extended water play). And then back inside for some winding down time and independent play before nap.

IMG_2062

IMG_2123-horz

IMG_2084

IMG_2075-vert

IMG_2092-horz

IMG_2110

IMG_2113

I know her hair is a mess and all in her face, but I love her expression! She was SO excited to have her friends here.
IMG_2091

2 comments:

iMother2.0 said...

*sniff* *sniff*
My little baby went to school...and the had a BLAST!!!!!!
Thank you for making her first day so wonderful...she talked about it all the way home, and then again after nap. She seems a little more independent. There's something slightly different about her. She's in school and oh so ready for next week. She already has her back pack by the door :)

Allison S said...

I just love this site!!! I can't tell you how much it means to me to see my little guy having a great time, playing well with others, and learning in a loving environment. Plus, if he doesn't tell me what he did that day, I can always find out! :)