4.19.2009

Oil Pastels | Lotería | Math Counters

The children have shown a great deal of interest in rocks, so we are going to delve into a focus on rocks. If you have any interesting rocks at home, please feel free to send them to school in a Ziploc bag or other container that is labeled with your child’s name so we know who to return them to.

Art
The children have had an introduction to chalk pastels this past month, and last week, we introduced Oil Pastels. What’s so cool about these are they offer an intensity and a variety of color not found with typical wax-based crayons and typical sidewalk chalk. Oil pastels are made of a mixture of pigment and oil, while chalk pastels are pigment held together with a dry binding agent. As with the chalk pastels, we offered the oil pastels on thick paper.


IMG_9643

IMG_9647

IMG_9641

Spanish
We read Mouse Paint, in English and Spanish. We continue to learn El Burrito Enfermo and we played Spanish Bingo (aka Loteria). This was a huge hit! The children who played it, paid special attention to see if their word was called and got the concept right away. Ms. Kellyann did a great job calling out the words in Spanish and I’m so proud of her for giving it her best effort. :)

IMG_9638

Other Snippets
I pulled out the Math Spindle Box because with a couple children, there has been interest in the symbolic representation of numbers and counting. This is going to be available for those who wish to work with it.


IMG_9705

Damon, Mia and Lulu enjoyed these sorting activities with fruit and flowers.

IMG_9569

IMG_9570

Ms. Kellyann captured this terrific moment of playing and sharing between the girls. Social skills developing beautifully. =)

IMG_9624

Bubble Photo also by Ms. Kellyann

IMG_9675

We’ve had a busy week with visitors touring Terra Luz all week. I was able to grab my camera to capture this darling little lady who will be joining us the Fall.

IMG_9695

IMG_9697

Speaking of Fall, it looks like we will continue to operate Terra Luz out of the house when Fall rolls around. Several reasons—we’re waiting for the economy to stabilize a bit, for me to refine my knowledge on the business aspect of operating a preschool, as well as waiting for the right place at the right price to present itself. So, this is good because there are definitely pros to having Terra Luz in our home. We can continue to work in our large garden, we have our kitchen to do culinary activities, and the flexibility of a running a small cohesive program. This also means our numbers for enrollment are limited, and I'm just about full.

Please continue to send in recyclables from the list below. Our nature table is still looking a bit bare. It’s Spring! So feel free to send in what you find from Nature. Our little Elf Boy is quite lonely on the nature table. ;)

Sunscreen: Even though we seem to be having a lot of rain these days, warm and sunny weather is right around the corner. When the days become more sunny, please apply sunscreen to your child before coming to school. You also will want to keep an extra bottle in their backpacks as well as their swimsuits since we’ll begin having splash days soon.

End of Year Parent Teacher Conferences
I will be holding EOY conferences with parents the first week of June. There will be a sign up sheet on the sign in table. The 2 dates I’ll be holding these will be on Monday, June 1st and Tuesday, June 2nd. These will be very informal and will be an opportunity to go over your child’s portfolio from this year.


Important Dates:
Last Day of the spring semester will be Wednesday, June 3rd, unless I can get a sub to come in for June 4th. Any volunteers from my sub list available? I will be traveling to La Paz, Mexico (way south in the Baja Peninsula for a wedding) and will need the extra day to arrive since a portion of our travel will be by bus, and I am too chicken to travel that by myself, so I’ll be meeting some other guests at the airport, and they’re leaving on the 4th.

Terra Luz will reopen for Summer Session on June 16th and the part time session will run through July 2nd (T,W,TH only). We will be closed for the remainder of July, and reopening August 4th. All the dates are on the Terra Luz Calendar on our website if you need to refer to them later. I will be attending the NAREA Summer Conference, at the end of June, but it will not affect summer school days. I'm very excited about it and look forward to this professional development opportunity. My goal by next year, is to be able to travel to Reggio Emilia to attend a group study tour. =)




1 comment:

iMother2.0 said...

this was such a fabulous post! You know I'm partial to the shot of Mia pouring some tea for Sophia....one of the wonderful parts of TL is that these little moments don't go unnoticed. And Corbin's face all lit up with bubble glee...it truly is the little things.

Sorting with the little flowers and fruit/veggies...then counting...what great activities. I always mean to set up some sorting activities for Mia at home...but have only really done that with the beads I took to the Blessing Way.

We went out for dinner tonight, and she asked if the restaurant had crayons or oil pastels!! ;)