1.15.2010

Light Table Exploration (Krista)

We continued our exploration of color and light this week. As promised, we began working with shaving cream and water colors on the light table.

The children really went all out with this exploration. I learned quickly that the best way to go about it was to abandon shirts in favor of the artist's smocks. By the end of the week, the children were rushing into the atelier and excitedly stripping off their shirts in anticipation of the 'color so so fun work' as Alaria calls it.

The children worked in small groups at the light table. They each began with their own little mountain of shaving cream and the color of their choosing. The exploration always began quietly, as each child worked individually, playing with the texture of the cream and saturating their portion of shaving cream with color. And then, one child would venture beyond the individual experience, pushing his/her colored cream into a friend's cream....once the barrier was broken, well, let's just say that it was ON!

The pace of the activity picked up, as the friends made broad, sweeping strokes with their hands, blending and mixing colors with their friends.

Here are a few quotes ,and Andrea will follow with our photos...enjoy!

Ryland: "I'm just going to really smooth this smooth cream out without getting too dirty...how about that Ms. Krista?"

Damon; "I'm making a waterfall, and LOOK! you can make CIRCLES! They're eyeballs. They belong to a snow monster!"

Jalie; "It's fun to get all messy!"

Corbin: "I'm just going to mix red and brown for a loooooooong time! If you keep doing it, it makes a kind of purple."

Sophia: "Look what I am doing! It's the color purple, too! Just like my husband's (Corbin's)!"

Mia G: "I LOVE THIS!! It feels like ice cream and soap mixed together. You can rub it on your hands and arms! It also feels like clay and soft playdough!"

Gwen: "Look at this, I can put paint on it by drumming it on!"

Annika: "Let's switch colors so we can make a rainbow color"

Lucca: "I want MORE!"

Eddie: "Look at this Krista! I'm making a window with mine"

Corbin: "Yep, and now I can wash Eddie's window for him"

Alaira: "This that I made looks like a castle, and we can make anything we want out of this stuff because it's ours"

McKenna; "My daddy has shaving cream, too"

Natalie: "Thanks for letting me do the shaving cream Ms. Krista. Look! I have the same colors as Jalie Bean!"

Allie: "I'm putting peanut butter on this and this pipette is the knife"

Jalie: "This water color is getting a huge puddle"

Alaira; "I'm making a rocket ship with my hands"

Atticus; "It's creamy stuff and it's squishy. I am doing this."

Mia S: (Squeals of joy each time she added color to the cream) "These are clouds!"

Ava: "My hands are covered with this! It's like gloves that go all the way up"

Jalie: "Or maybe it's like sleeves that go all the way down."


3 comments:

Val Daubert said...

I love it! No wonder her tummy and shoulders were blue! hahaha!

Melissa said...

Gwen loooved this project. And these quotes are priceless... I am laughing so hard reading about sleeves that go all the way down and snow monsteres and washing Eddie's window.

ckessel01 said...

Krista - I LOVE it! Its fabulous beyond words... And the photos do tell all! :)