2.19.2010

Storytime Deconstructed (Krista)

This week, I offered the children the opportunity to create a "story board".

Jalie, Allie, Damon, Alaira, Jason and Mia Gleinser (she's made a request that I refer to her as Mia Gleinser, instead of Mia G, which I totally understand ;)) were interested in the activity.

Inspiration:
I offered the children a small story board that is divided into 3 sections, an array of markers, pens and colored pencils, the wooden box of sandpaper letters and a basket of various animals and insects for inspiration.

Process:
The creative process was different for each child.

Jalie sorted through the box of letters before choosing the sandpaper letter 'a'. Together we came up with a list of words starting with the letter 'a'.

Here is our list:
apple ant anteater
apple juice Alaira Anika
Allie alligator

After reviewing the list, she decided to tell a story about an ant. She dictated the story to me, and then carefully chose the colors that she would use to illustrate the story. She laid the markers out in a row and worked methodically.

Mia picked 2 frogs out of the basket and set them next to her story board. She tested several colored pencils and markers before finding the ones that matched the color of the frogs exactly. It was important to her that her drawing look like the frogs. She took a lot of time with her illustrations.

Damon referred to his story as a comic book. He said that it was his first comic book and he was incredibly proud of it.

Jason grabbed the markers and began excitedly dictating to me as he drew. He took my finger and placed it on one of his drawings, "This is the plane, right here. Write plane!"

Allie told me several stories before finally letting me write one down. It was important to her that the story ended with everyone's dream coming true.

Alaira asked to do two story boards. She told her stories quickly and with a lot of enthusiasm. She re-told the stories as she illustrated them. Twice, she said that she was finished, and then returned to add some more. She chose to dictate two stories because she thought that the first story was too mean.

The story boards are displayed in the foyer, and the children are quite proud of them, so please take a moment to read their stories next week.

Happy Weekend Everyone! xo

5 comments:

Nicola said...

Oooh--so exciting! What a cool project. Glad I'm doing pickup today so I can see!

Heather said...

So interesting to hear how differently the children approached this. What a great idea! Thanks for telling us all about it, Krista. :)

iMother2.0 said...

LOL! Gleinser :)
i can't wait to check the board out. thank you for listening to our children and being a fabulous, patient guide. you cherish the little things :)

Anonymous said...

I am scared to read Alaira's "mean" story ;-) Thank you!!!

ckessel01 said...

I had a chance to look at the story boards yesterday as I was leaving. Wow! Its amazing how different each child is and how creative their stories are! I'm also amazed at the amount of time, love, patience and attention you've given our kiddos to produce such wonderful work! Thanks, Krista!