10.22.2008

Corn, Cornhusk Dolls, (and Binoculars too!), and Love Chants

Highlights of our Day

To go along with these week's theme of corn, we did several things using it. A few days ago, I shucked fresh corn and put the husks aside. When the children arrived this week, we soaked the husks to make them soft, and then we made cornhusk dolls. They were much easier than I thought they'd be and it was something the kiddies got excited about.


IMG_4556

We have a head (with hair), arms, and hands, just need a torso, legs and feet.
IMG_4729

All finished!

IMG_4770

IMG_4709

Fine Motor
We also removed the kernels from the Indian corn cob.

IMG_4731

Practical Life (and more Fine Motor)

Next, we used the kernels for some additional fine motor fun with a transfer activity. The children used the spoon to transfer the kernels from one bowl to fill the other bowl. They also practiced pouring back and forth.

IMG_4761

Sensory
Damon discovered the geometric puzzle cabinet today and played with the circle tray.

IMG_4742

The children finally finished their bird binoculars from last week. These projects take time, so instead of rushing, we take our time, and get them done as we can. =)

IMG_4763

Music



I love, love, LOVE Ella Jenkins' Call-and-Response rhythmic group singing! It's very similar to the djembe class I took this summer and the children and I have been singing and drumming along to these two songs in particular, both lead by a young 12 y/o girl. Take a moment to listen...

Love Chant from North Africa.

http://muzetunes.com/playback.asx?c=TPkZIUT52ay_Usslikl0pCoH81b2PRPV0l0NaWbYj_A=&f=B

Chant from West Africa

http://muzetunes.com/playback.asx?c=TPkZIUT52ay_Usslikl0pFpkCL81czPl7viY2VJoxOM=&f=B

IMG_4687

Take note of Lulu's hair. Yes, she is shaking her head THAT hard to the rhythm.

Can you see why I love my job?

IMG_4752

Other glimpses from this week...

IMG_4701

IMG_4758

IMG_4727

The children have been playing with this botany flower puzzle. It's designed to help illustrate the different parts of a flower and for children ages 3-6. Got it so they could use it down the road, but already, they're intrigued and are doing quite well with it!

2965855578_462170321f-tile

3 comments:

iMother2.0 said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the shot of Mia with her binoculars....dirty face and all!

Thank you again, Andrea, for the wonder full job you do with our children...and this amazing blog that lets us peek into their joy filled days.

Besos!

Allison S said...

The dolls are adorable!!! I just love that you are encouraging the kids to make things - that seems to be a lost skill for many people these days, and it's so satisfying to make something yourself and then enjoy the finished product. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Lisa Summers said...

Ditto!! We are so blessed our kiddos have you!! Although I think Lulu thought she was going to be "kicked" out today after her behavior!! Love the 2's!!

Lauren loves her doll and her binoculars.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the shot of her with her hand on her chin! Reminds me of the sweet precious girl she can be (until someone tells her "no") haha