9.24.2009

Urbanite? Old Tires? Planning Underway!

soil

The lovely Jennifer came by this week to get a soil sample, and to pow-wow the design for our mandala garden and we are very excited. It's going to come together in about 4 phases.

picnikfile_Hb3Dly

1. define the circle and pathways
2. build the center/trellis stucture
3. mulch in pathways
4. plant!

We will begin next weekend, Sunday morning, October 4th, with phases 1 and 2. If any families can come out to volunteer, we will be most grateful! I will have hot coffee, drinks, and morning snacks available.

We are also trying to be creative with materials to reuse, and are on the lookout for "urbanite" (aka broken concrete), or an affordable border material. This way, we can focus our gardening budget toward good quality seeds and plants. If anybody frequents craigstlist or freecycle, we could use some eagle eyes. =)

6 comments:

gingeronni said...

I have seen some cool garden paths made out of green beer bottles planted upside down. (I bet if we all drank enough beer we could collect enough for you) :)

krista said...

i'll start drinking beer this evening! ;)

iMother2.0 said...

I'm on for the drinking of the beer...but will be oot next weekend. ready and willing to help any other time...I'll keep checking back :)

Melanie said...

We have a friend in town and its ACL weekend, don't think we can make it this weekend. But I will help with the beer drinking. Give me a goal to reach.

Nicola said...

We are hoping to come Sunday...anyone else? C'mon guys...I really dislike gardening, so let's get more people so it will seem fun! :-)

Dawn K. Gibson, LCSW said...

I would LOVE to be there but Gavin's bday is that morning. Bummer. Next time...