10.14.2009

Parenting for a Peaceful World Book Study Group

1921004142_01_LZZZZZZZ

Has anybody read Parenting for a Peaceful World by Robin Grille?

*How to best support your child's developing emotional intelligence
*How your childhood has influenced your own emotional make-up
*What helps you achieve your full potential as a parent
*How our parenting choices can change the world - and help us to create peaceful and sustainable societies

Whether you are a parent, a teacher, a health professional, or just seeking to better understand yourself and your relationships so you can heal and grow, this book is for you.

Carrie Contey, PhD holds Parenting for a Peaceful World book study groups at her office in South Austin and I've been wanting to attend one for months. So, I asked, and she said she would be happy to hold a northie book study group if we can get 12-15 mamas and/or daddies signed up.


So, anybody interested? :)

I believe the book study lasts over the course of 6 weeks or so. Will get more details, but for now, if anybody's interested in the book study group, please let me know! I know I am!

::

ETA Details!


Parenting for a Peaceful World, written by Robin Grille, is a book for parents who want to learn to get inside their parenting with true compassion and understanding of both their children and of themselves. It is for child health professionals who want to gain insight into every infant and child, and even adult, they encounter. It is for adults who want to gain insight into their whole selves again and indeed, the whole self of every person they meet.

This book is nothing short of a manifesto for policy-makers, teachers, community leaders, and anyone who wants to deepen their connection to themselves and humanity as a whole. If the findings outlined in these pages are put into practice, the result may be a revolution of peace, humanity, and a world beyond our imagining. And it can all begin in ourselves and in our very own families.

During our time together we will:
* Examine the whys of who we are
* Discuss the book
* Explore how our own early experiences influence what we believe about ourselves and how we parent
* Share some of the messiness and joys of parenting today
* Learn and practice mindfulness techniques that will help reduce stress and model good emotional health and regulation to partners and children

Time: 7:15-9:15pm
Dates: We can do it weekly or every other week for six classes (Dates to be determined)
Cost: $260/person
Location: Terra Luz

This is for mothers and fathers with children of all ages who are ready to explore and create new understandings of themselves, their children and their world in general.

For more information contact Carrie at 694-7794 or carrie@earlyparenting.com


::

Proposed Dates:

November 4th, 18th
Dec. 2nd, 9th and 16th
Then we can have the last one on the 30th or wait until Jan 6th. Preferably until the 6th.

It would be fun to have something threading through the holidays!


::

ETA on 10/16

Spoke with Carrie about the price and she is open to lowering it.

$240/person
If you come with a partner or a friend the price drops to $225/person

Here's a few testimonials...

"What skill could possibly be more important than Parenting for a Peaceful World? Think for a moment and I think you'll find there really is none. This book took my own experience of being a Dad, and placed it in the context of parenting through the ages. It's incredible how fascinating, helpful and hopeful that is. Getting together with Carrie, Bernadette and the guys to talk about the book was really great."


What a wealth of professional and practical experience with children and parenting. Talking about your own struggles, triumphs (and sometimes failures), and, better, listening to other dads experiences (hey, they're just guys like us!) brought some balance to an often difficult and exhausting job. I'll confess, I never would have done it on my own. My wife signed me up remind me to thank her!"


16 comments:

ckessel01 said...

Andrea,
Do you have a copy of this book on hand? I am about to order it on Amazon, but I wanted to check it out while I wait... The reviews are excellent and my interest is peaked!

iMother2.0 said...

yes!

Andrea said...

@ Christine, this is a fascinating book.

I do have a copy of this book, but it's loaned out.

Ruxandra said...

I'd love to join, depending on timing. Evening better than afternoons and Mondays will not work. Thanks for another great opportunity!

Nicola said...

I have the book (but never finished it) and am interested, but much depends on cost and timing. I can't do anything during preschooler bedtime, personally. Weekends would probably work best for me.

Nicola said...

Christine, I'll have mine in the car so you can borrow it whenever I see you next...

The O'Connor Family said...

I am interested. I loved Carrie's ideas. But, the time will be the biggest factor. I cannot do Monday evenings.

The O'Connor Family said...

I also have a good friend that may be interested if it's open to others.

Andrea said...

Yes, we are more than happy to also open it to others! We will need a minimum amount of participants (12-15) to make a northie book study for Carrie. We can hold it weekly for 6 weeks, or biweekly, depending on majority vote.

She is very excited about the possibility of this happening.

Let's do it. Spread the word.

ckessel01 said...

Thanks, Nicola! I'll hit you up tomorrow or Friday... Thx!

iMother2.0 said...

the dates are good for me. it'll be just me this time. it would be hard (and expensive) getting a sitter every week.

very excited! i've been wanting to be part of this book study group for a while...soooo glad she's coming up here !

The O'Connor Family said...

It sounds wonderful but too expensive for us. I am going to read the book anyway!

Melanie said...

The dates don't work for us, we would be oot for one of them, and right now M/W/F are days Mark doesn't get home til after 7pm, so it would be a little difficult for me to make it. I am interested in reading the book.

Nicola said...

Looks like I can't join (boo!) but I passed the info on to some friends who might be interested..

Melissa said...

Definitely interested!

Ruxandra said...

It still looks so tempting, but it doesn't "fit" in the budget for us, at this time. So sorry to miss it! I am very excited to read the book!