10.24.2009

Putting It Out To The Universe

Property Search.

The two words that make me feel like a broken record. ;)

If you've been with me for the last year, you've heard me echo them over and over. We took a break from the [unsuccessful] search for a few months to get Terra Luz expanded within our private residence. Now with the year coming to a close, we realized it's time to get back on the wagon of searching since it could take several months.

My ideal permanent home for Terra Luz would be a house that is commercially zoned to keep the cohesive and cozy feeling intact. Very hard to come by in NW Austin/Cedar Park, for whatever crazy reason, but I'm still hoping for that, even with all the disappointments.
I've also been eyeing the corner house on 620 that is currently a salon and have considered putting a note on their door letting them know to contact me if they ever want to sell. Hey, you never know, right? Also have daydreamed about taking over the [old] daycare in front of my house and renovating the inside (the layout is TOTALLY ideal for a Reggian program). Then the wheels in my head start spinning, and the panic begins to set in. Will I ever find what I'm looking for? Will this program sustain in suburbia? I feel very passionate about my escuelita and believe there's a strong need in our area for quality early childhood education.

So, then, I get an email.

A family is going to be selling their home that is on 5 acres (5 acres!) and the owner wanted to show it to us since she heard I'm looking for property. They've lived there for over 30 years and their children are grown, and the city has caught up with them. When sold, it will be zoned commercial. The location is ideal and 5 minutes from our current location (using the toll). It's been listed, but the sign has not been put up yet because they're having their daughter's wedding in December.

We viewed it today. The land is beautiful and with it sit 68 oak trees.68 oak trees! So beautiful, neither my husband nor I had the courage to ask what their asking price was. After we left, he said, you know we're not going to be able to afford this, right? I wanted to kick myself for not asking the price, I suppose we just didn't want to keel over in front of her. She gave us the contact information for her realtor, and we're going to call him on Monday.

The owner (who happens to be an Early Childhood Connection Facilitator with LISD) did say, she would love for children to be there, and would hate to see it turned into a convenience store.

So, here I am, putting this out to the universe. Even if this property doesn't work out, that our property will present itself soon.

IMG_4474_2

IMG_4488

IMG_4485

IMG_4483_2

8 comments:

iMother2.0 said...

what an amazing place! i can see TL there easily.

you will grow your escuelita

it will happen

Keri said...

Have you looked it up on zillo.com?
should give you a good idea of pricing without having to ask... looks unreal!

The O'Connor Family said...

I was thinking about zillo too! Wow, that sure is gorgeous! I agree, it will happen. Just keep your standards high.

Andrea said...

ok, so i did a zillo search, and found a couple things.

saw the tax appraisal for this property (which wasn't too shocking, actually lower than expected), but those numbers are only for tax appraisal purposes and not "true value", so trying not to hold my breath--but really wanting too.

however, zillo did pull up the property adjacent to it which is also for sale. $2.8 million. But it has more than double the acreage, and the house is huge (and relatively new.)

description for the neighboring property is exactly what the owner told us. prime location for mixed use development, located on a major arterial road, to be cut through one major road and highway, opening the way for new commercial and retail development.

to have this little oasis in the city would be a dream.

Andrea said...

...and please excuse my typos.

;)

Andrea said...

My husband spoke with the realtor and the price is, unfortunately, out of our budget.

so, we're moving on...

Dawn K. Gibson, LCSW said...

Oh, Andrea, YOU WILL FIND THE PERFECT PLACE FOR TERRA LUZ! Please hang in there and try to be positive. I'll be sending my loving and positive vibes to you and the search for EXACTLY what you are looking for in the new expanded school. Thank you again, for all that you guys do. LOVE YOU!

ckessel01 said...

Ouch. Too bad that there's such a thing as a budget. Its a nasty thing, I tell ya! I'm sorry for your disappointment.

In due time, Andrea, you WILL find the perfect place for your escuelita. It may not be now, it may not be what you initially envision, but I know you have the ability to create magic out of practically any space... And in the meantime, please, please remember that the escuelita is not a piece of property, a building, or a house - its all of YOU. :)